Here are our recommended Winter Top “Must Do’s”!
- Join your hosts Karen and Ralph at Shadow Mountain Escape’s Traditional Winter Celebration every Saturday evening after Thanksgiving through February. The event is held in the stone courtyard around the iron wood stove and features home baked goods, music, and German Gluhwein (hot spiced wine). For special weekends, we roast German bratwurst over the fire.
- Go to the old town of Luray and walk along the Hawksbill River in the Greenway Park and terminate on Main Street at one of Luray’s eateries for breakfast, lunch or dinner – the Mimslyn Inn or Gathering Grounds is a good choice. For dinner on Thurs – Sun consider the Valley Cork Wine shop for a delicious meat/cheese board, flatbread, or rice bowl meal with wine.
- Bundle up under the heavenly stars around a crackling campfire on a cold night while sipping hot seasonal spiced wine or hot chocolate.
- Visit the regional wineries and sample their holiday specialties; recommend the full bodied dry red wines during winter months.
- Tour the Luray caverns and their local museums and enjoy the consistently warm 55 degrees on a cold winter day!
- Sample the regional culinary specialties at local diners and restaurants such as Pumpkin Roll, Pumpkin Pie and other spiced desserts (Gathering Grounds in Luray, Hawksbill Diner in Stanley, and Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill).
- Bundle up and stroll through the shops and streets of old towns (Culpeper, Luray, Front Royal) to admire the country holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) decorations.
- Take in the local holiday season small town events and performances – refer to local town newspapers and public signs in the old towns.
- Go skiing, sledding, or snow tubing at Massanutten Resort (55 minutes away)
- On a cold day, relax in front of fireplace or wood stove with a quilt, good book and cookies.
- Visit the Art Warehouse, Shenandoah Moon, and other boutique shops in old Town Luray for art works, antiques and many unique gifts and items.
Bonus Adventure: Check www.DiscoverShenandoah.com for seasonal experiences on the Blue Ridge Whisky Wine Loop.