Shadow Mountain Escape provides an unforgettable couples’ romantic get-a-way.
- Enjoy a chilled local white wine from the Blue Ridge Whisky Wine Loop wineries. Explore the idyllic landscape around Ducard and Sharp Rock Vineyard while enjoying a blush wine near Old Rag Mountain; cool off under the trellis at Wisteria Farm and Vineyard; enjoy the fine variety of high quality wines at the world class Rappahannock Cellars, Desert Rose Winery, Quièvremont Winery, Gadino or Chester Gap Cellars. Be sure to follow the Blue Ridge Whisky Wine Loop and visit the excellent wineries/distillery and other featured eateries along the loop. New for beer lovers! Hopkin’s Ordinary Ale Works in Sperryville or Hawksbill Brewing Company in Luray – enjoy their beer garden too!
- Take in one of the July – September Shenandoah Valley Music Festival performances in the beautiful and historic Orkney Springs for a night to remember
- Hike to a waterfall in the Shenandoah National Park (all of them are a treasure – White Oaks and Dark Hollow Falls are the most frequented) or to the Park’s Big Meadows and photograph the many wild flowers and butterflies nature has on display (for those with mobility challenges, drive the Skyline Drive to Big Meadows for a great easy access National Park experience)
- Eat ice cream – have a black berry ice cream cone at Shenandoah National Park Big Meadows or visit Fairview Country Store in Luray for quality hand dipped ice cream flavors… for soft serve ice cream lovers get anything you like at “Flotzies” next to Walmart in Luray
- Enjoy one of the many local musical artists or festival events performing routinely in area pubs, restaurants, and festivals (recommend seeing local favorites “Acoustic Thunder” or taking in a Blue Grass band for a traditional Shenandoah performing arts experience – weekly events at Performing Arts Luray are wonderful).
- Swim at Lake Arrowhead or the Shenandoah River and dip yourself into a small pool of running water in a mountain stream
- Canoe, cruise or tube the Shenandoah River (recommend Shenandoah River Outfitters or Down River Canoe Company)
- Tour the 55 degrees cool and majestic Luray Caverns and take in their local museums
- Have an ice cold beer or Margarita with dinner at one of Luray’s eateries (recommend Gathering Grounds, Rancho Viejo, the Mimslyn Inn’s Speakeasy Pub)
- Enjoy a barbecue outside your cabin and take advantage of locally grown fresh vegetables and meats. Check out the When in Virginia Blog Post about SME!
Bonus Adventure: Check out Discover Shenandoah for seasonal experiences on the Blue Ridge Whisky Wine Loop.
Favorite Hiking Trails – Click here to see the details: