We recommend all guests coordinate their stay and itinerary with us prior to booking. SME COVID 19 Mitigation Policy below
- Minimum Stay: There is a 2 night minimum stay requirement for all cabins.
- Check In Time: 3:00 PM or later – no exceptions (after 7pm, self-check-in)
- Check-out: 11:00 A.M, or later if only by prior arrangement with owner.
- Deposit: A $200 deposit is requested to hold the reservation – payable via Paypal
- Balance: The balance is due upon arrival and payable by check or cash.
- Bed Linens/Towels: One full set provided for no additional fee.
- Cabin Occupancy: Guests acknowledge SME is a Couple’s Escape – no children permitted. Only over night guests are permitted on our property and in their appointed cabin. (Only two guests are authorized to be in a cabin unless approved in advance by the owner/operator).
- Telephones: local line telephones are provided in each cabin with access to long distance calling using a personal credit card.
- Pets: Household pets are not permitted on the property or in the cabins. Service dogs are welcome. Please contact us for disability accommodations.
- Campfires: Weather dependent, every Saturday night at dusk a campfire is provided and available for all guests to enjoy. Upon special request and SME owner advanced approval, the SME campfire pit and wood is available each day (self-service) for guests to enjoy. SME management conducts a day to day fire condition assessment based on the changing weather conditions and the local fire department’s fire condition warning. For the sake of our vast wilderness and general safety, we ask that all of our guests support our vigilance in promoting fire prevention and fire safely.
- Fire Prevention and Smoking: There is no smoking permitted inside our cabins. Cigarette butts are not to be thrown on the ground and any other smoking related waste is to be properly extinguished and immediately disposed of after use. During county announced fire danger conditions campfires prohibited – extreme caution is to be exercised when grilling and smoking. All ashes and used coals are to be disposed of in the marked metal bucket provided in the recycling center. Telephones for 911 calls and fire extinguishers are provided in each cabin for emergency purposes.
- “Quiet Time”: Between 9 pm and 10 am is designated “quiet time” on the property. The proprietors, employees and guests will cooperate to ensure a peaceful environment conducive to relaxation and sleeping.
- Personal Hygiene Supplies: Toothpaste and hair care products are not provided (we do have basic supplies on hand upon request)
- Swimming: Upon request, swimming in the pond is allowed. To protect the habitat, all swimmers must use only the single entry and exit point identified by the owner.
- Wildlife: There is no fishing or hunting allowed on the property. A nature trail is provided and guests are encouraged to walk freely on the property. Feeding or disturbing the wildlife and fauna is prohibited on the property. Guests may join the owners during seasonally determined deer, bird, and fish feedings.
- Waste Management: All trash goes in the Shadow Mountain Escape recycling center. Guests are encouraged to recycle materials. All waste water on the property is processed through septic systems – NO synthetic or non-biodegradable materials or chemicals are to be flushed into the septic system.
- Weapons: No lethal weapons of any kind are permitted on the property without the owners’ prior approval.
- Climate Control: Unless approved by owners in advance, air conditioning thermostats in the cabins are not to be set below 72 degrees and heat control thermostats are not to be raised above 74 degrees. Unless temporarily utilized, cabin windows are only to be opened when the climate control systems are turned off.
- Security: Although Shadow Mountain Escape is very safe and located in a relatively remote location, while on the property, guests assume responsibility for securing their valuable and personal items. Although priority is given to protecting the privacy of guests, the owners reserve the right of access to the cabins for maintenance and safety purposes.
- Outdoor Safety: Shadow Mountain Escape borders the Shenandoah National Park – a vast wilderness preserve. Guests on the property are expected to remain safety conscious while on the property. With each season there are many wild animals and insects. The following seasonal guidelines should be considered by all guests visiting the area:
SME COVID 19 Mitigation Policy:
Shadow Mountain Escape (SME) continues to strive to make our guests’ stay as comfortable and safe as possible. During this COVID 19 Pandemic we will respect and enforce the following policy. Hopefully, someday soon, we can again all relax our awareness level and mitigation actions.
- Guests displaying obvious symptoms of sickness, or who have been diagnosed with active COVID 19 or any other contagious disease, should contact SME as soon as possible in advance of their date of reservation to reschedule or receive their deposit back ($75 late cancellation fee for sickness will apply).
- The owners of SME will demand that potentially contagious guests (those showing obvious symptoms of sickness) receive and provide a Doctor’s clearance prior to being allowed on SME property.
- Any guests who suspect they may have began showing signs of contagion during their visit, should inform the owner(s) SME immediately for assistance in gaining proper medical support and to ensure proper spacing and de-sanitization are applied accordingly.
During the Pandemic period, SME will incorporate the following:
- Promote social spacing by maintaining 6 feet or more physical separation between all cabin guests and proprietors. (this includes during check-ins)
- Guests will be required to only use their designated entry doors and not touch other cabin handrails or door knobs.
- Hand sanitizer is provided in each cabin – guests are asked to use it upon each entry and departure of their respective cabins.
- Disinfectant wipes or sprays are provided in each cabin, guests are asked to wipe down surface areas and door knobs before checking out.
- Cleaning personnel will always wear gloves when entering and cleaning cabins and throw them away after completing cleaning.
- SME cabins will be closed on Tues and Wed of each week for “airing out” and deep cleaning. *
- SME will only use disinfectant based cleaning agents such as Clorox or Lysol.
- Guests will be urged to pay via PayPal to avoid any physical money transfers.
*Requests for Tues and Wed bookings can be made for extended stay and special purposes. Call Karen direct for consideration and approval.
Fall and Winter:
- Take measures to avoid exposure to cold weather fluctuations
- Avoid becoming damp or wet while outdoors
- Exercise caution when around open fires and using the fireplace and woodstoves
- Be cautious when walking or driving in ice and snow conditions
- Always ask the owners for help if not 100% sure of how to operate the gas fireplace or woodstoves
Spring and Summer:
- To prevent attracting insects – avoid using fragrant perfumes and washes; use insect repellent
- wear a hat and glasses and long pants
- check regularly for ticks and bug bites
- seek cooler and shady areas
- Be aware of the native animals and reptiles – do not disturb or approach them
- Use sunscreen and wear loose clothing appropriate for the forecasted weather – shoes and socks are always preferred
- Always wear water shoes when in local waters
- Drink and carry water with you
- A $75.00 service charge per room will be applied to all cancellations.
- Due to limited availability which requires us to turn guests away once a cabin is blocked out, cancellations received less than 10 days from arrival will be charged the entire reservation price unless we can rebook; no exceptions.
- Holidays and Fall foliage season cancellations received less than 10 days from arrival will be charged the entire reservation price unless we can rebook.
- We will not attempt to rebook your cabin should you cancel your reservation on the day of your arrival.
- If a reservation is cut short you will be charged 50% per day for each remaining day of your reservation, excluding Holidays and Fall Season where you will be charged the entire amount of your reserved stay.
- All cancellations must be received by phone.