Shadow Mountain Escape
Fall Top 10 Things To Do
Our Recommended Fall Top “Must Do’s”!
- Hike a short or long trail to a scenic ridge in the Shenandoah National Park – try to identify the numerous late summer/fall mushrooms along the way.
- Stroll through the numerous flea markets and antique shops in Luray and Sperryville – consider taking a short walk through the tiny town of Sperryville and pick up a lunch or dinner Artisan Pizza at the Rappahannock Pizza Kitchen. Visit the Copper Fox Distillery and Hopkins Ordinary Ale works while in Sperryville.
- Visit the locals’ favorite, family owned and operated, Hawksbill Diner in Stanley and enjoy a retro county breakfasts or lunch at a great price. Also try the Gathering Grounds on Main Street in Luray.
- Buy and eat fresh apples of numerous varieties grown in regional orchards, make a fresh apple pie in your cabin and eat as many delicious fall apples as you can; look for country quilts and other fall season local made preserves, honey and specialties while buying apples.
- Chat around a crackling campfire on a clear, cool night and roast marshmallows while sipping your favorite cold weather beverage.
- Eat lunch at Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill (recommend fish & chips) and then go to Rappahannock Cellars or Chester Gap Vineyards just down the road for a nice glass of red wine and take in the lovely surroundings of the Blue Ridge Mountains – explore the Blue Ridge Whisky Wine Loop!
- Enjoy a formal or informal evening of dining at the beautiful historic Mimslyn Inn or the Valley Cork on Main Street in Luray (recommend checking for scheduled live music nights); for exceptional Mexican Food visit Rancho Viejo in Luray; the best New York Style Pizza can be found at Anthony’s Pizza via delivery directly to your cabin or at their shop in the Luray shopping center next to Food Lion.
- Tour the magnificent Luray Caverns and Luray Valley Museum in Luray
- Picnic or grill at Lake Arrowhead and take a walk around the lake to enjoy the surrounding mountain views and wildlife
- Ride a horse and take a trail ride with Jordan Hollow Stables in Stanley or with the Shenandoah National Park
Bonus Adventure: Check DiscoverShenandoah for seasonal experiences – Blue Ridge Whisky Wine Loop.
Favorite Hiking Trails – Go here to see the details: