Minimum Stay: There is a 2 night minimum stay requirement for all cabins.
Check In Time: 3:00 PM or later – no exceptions (after 8 pm, self-check-in)
Check-out: 11:00 A.M, or later if only by prior arrangement with owner.
Deposit: A $200 deposit is requested to hold the reservation – payable via Paypal
Balance: The balance is due upon arrival and payable by check or cash.
Bed Linens/Towels: One full set provided for no additional fee.
Cabin Occupancy: Guests acknowledge SME is a Couple’s Escape – no children permitted. (Additional guests in the Dragonfly cabin are authorized by exception only upon owner’s approval prior to booking. (additional daily fee of $100 per additional guest will be applied – maximum of 3 guests )
Telephones: local line telephones are provided in each cabin with access to long distance calling using a personal credit card.
Pets: We do not accept pets in our cabins. If desired, we can provide you with contact information for a nearby boarding kennel to care for your pets during your stay with us.
Campfires: Weather dependent, every Saturday night at dusk a campfire is provided and available for all guests to enjoy. Upon special request and SME owner advanced approval, the SME campfire pit and wood is available each day (self-service) for guests to enjoy. SME management conducts a day to day fire condition assessment based on the changing weather conditions and the local fire department’s fire condition warning. For the sake of our vast wilderness and general safety, we ask that all of our guests support our vigilance in promoting fire prevention and fire safely.
Fire Prevention and Smoking: There is no smoking permitted inside our cabins. Cigarette butts are not to be thrown on the ground and any other smoking related waste is to be properly extinguished and immediately disposed of after use. During county announced fire danger conditions campfires prohibited – extreme caution is to be exercised when grilling and smoking. All ashes and used coals are to be disposed of in the marked metal bucket provided in the recycling center. Telephones for 911 calls and fire extinguishers are provided in each cabin for emergency purposes.
“Quiet Time”: Between 10 pm and 10 am is designated “quiet time” on the property. The proprietors, employees and guests will cooperate to ensure a peaceful environment conducive to relaxation and sleeping.
Personal Hygiene Supplies: Toothpaste and hair care products are not provided (we do have basic supplies on hand upon request)
Swimming: Upon request, swimming in the pond is allowed. To protect the habitat, all swimmers must use only the single entry and exit point identified by the owner.
Wildlife: There is no fishing or hunting allowed on the property. A nature trail is provided and guests are encouraged to walk freely on the property. Feeding or disturbing the wildlife and fauna is prohibited on the property. Guests may join the owners during seasonally determined deer, bird, and fish feedings.
Waste Management: All trash goes in the Shadow Mountain Escape recycling center. Guests are encouraged to recycle materials. All waste water on the property is processed through septic systems – NO synthetic or non-biodegradable materials or chemicals are to be flushed into the septic system.
Weapons: No lethal weapons of any kind are permitted on the property without the owners’ prior approval.
Climate Control: Unless approved by owners in advance, air conditioning thermostats in the cabins are not to be set below 72 degrees and heat control thermostats are not to be raised above 74 degrees. Unless temporarily utilized, cabin windows are only to be opened when the climate control systems are turned off.
Security: Although Shadow Mountain Escape is very safe and located in a relatively remote location, while on the property, guests assume responsibility for securing their valuable and personal items. Although priority is given to protecting the privacy of guests, the owners reserve the right of access to the cabins for maintenance and safety purposes.
Outdoor Safety: Shadow Mountain Escape borders the Shenandoah National Park – a vast wilderness preserve. Guests on the property are expected to remain safety conscious while on the property. With each season there are many wild animals and insects. The following seasonal guidelines should be considered by all guests visiting the area:
Spring and Summer:
- To prevent attracting insects – avoid using fragrant perfumes and washes; use insect repellent
- wear a hat and glasses and long pants
- check regularly for ticks and bug bites
- seek cooler and shady areas
- Be aware of the native animals and reptiles – do not disturb or approach them
- Use sun screen and wear loose clothing appropriate for the forecasted weather – shoes and socks are always preferred
- Always wear water shoes when in local waters
- Drink and carry water with you
Fall and Winter:
- Take measures to avoid exposure to cold weather fluctuations
- Avoid becoming damp or wet while outdoors
- Exercise caution when around open fires and using the fireplace and woodstoves
- Be cautious when walking or driving in ice and snow conditions
- Always ask the owners for help if not 100% sure of how to operate the gas fireplace or woodstoves
- A $75.00 service charge per room will be applied to all cancellations.
- Due to limited availability which requires us to turn guests away once a cabin is blocked out, cancellations received less than 10 days from arrival will be charged the entire reservation price unless we can rebook; no exceptions.
- Holidays and Fall foliage season cancellations received less than 7 days from arrival will be charged the entire reservation price unless we can rebook.
- We will not attempt to rebook your cabin should you cancel your reservation on the day of your arrival.
- If a reservation is cut short you will be charged 50% per day for each remaining day of your reservation, excluding Holidays and Fall Season where you will be charged the entire amount of your reserved stay.
- All cancellations must be received by phone or email.